Monday, November 14, 2011

a night with HERPANGINA

I'm glad that's over I thought to myself.  The previous day I worked from 8 in the morning to 10:30 at night.  It wasn't hard work but that's a long time to be stuck at work.   Michelle and Marissa were visiting her parents while I was working.  They stayed the night.  Michelle called me the next day and said Marissa didn't sleep well and she was drooling all night.  My heart stopped beating for a second.  She's acting normal said my wife.  She said she was going to the clinic in Grand Island and then they'd visit my parents.  I said OK and told her to give my girl a big hug for me.  She text ed me after the doctor appointment and said Marissa had herpangina.  I got on the internet looked it up and thought oh, that poor little girl.  She also had an ear infection.

I called Michelle at 6 or so.  I was worried about my daughter and I was wondering where the hell they were.  She said my parents just got home and Marissa won't eat or drink anything.  I was pretty pissed off.  I wanted to see my daughter and she kept talking about how bad she was doing.  She said that Marissa couldn't go to daycare for a few days and she was looking for someone to work for her.  I called my boss and explained the situation.  He let me have the next day off if Michelle had to work.  That night was rough.

They got home at 9 and she was crying.  She didn't fall asleep until 5:30.  She slept from 5:30 to 8:30 and she got up.  I was giving her Tylenol every 4 hours.  I don't think it helped much.  I am so proud of her.  At around 4:00 in the morning I laid down on a pillow on the floor and Marissa gave me a back rub.  She was in so much pain and couldn't sleep but she wanted me to be more comfortable.  I fell asleep but quickly woke up to a little finger in my ear.   She managed to scratch a little skin off from the inside of my ear.  I grabbed her hand and said "no Marissa" then she grabbed my whole ear and pulled.  This was my daughter's way of saying please take me to bed daddy I'm tired.  I put her in bed and she went right to sleep.

She woke up at about 9.  I gave her Tylenol, antibiotics, and a prescription lollipop.  The lollipop was too big for her mouth and she didn't like it.  I had to force it in her mouth and she was crying the entire time.  It was supposed to numb her mouth so she'd eat but it didn't work.  She wouldn't eat or drink.  I didn't want her to get dehydrated.  I filled the same syringe I used for the antibiotics up with Gatorade and squirted some in her mouth.  By the end of the day she hadn't slept or eaten anything.  She only drank what I forced her to drink.  I was really worried about her.  She slept 8 hours that night.  She always surprises me.  The second I think she can't do something she does it.

The next morning she ate some cereal and said owee at every bite.  She drank half a cup of gatorade.  I was so relieved.  She was improving.  She then took a 3 hour nap.  I took the nap with her.   When we got up I decided to go shopping.  We needed milk and food.  I bought some sugar cookies and gave Marissa one.  She ate the entire thing and drank some milk.  Later I tried one of the cookies and to my surprise they were wonderful.  They were really soft in the center.  Marissa has good taste.  I went out and got some McDonalds and tried giving her a french fry.  I felt bad.  She loves french fries but she couldn't eat them because it hurt her too much.  She would take one bite and then

Michelle stayed home with her on the 4th day.  I texted her at 10 in the morning.  She said Marissa was doing great.  That made my day at work a lot more enjoyable.  I got home and watched her eat an entire plate of spaghetti.  She drank 5 cups of milk.  Her stomach is so full.  :)  She's to the point where nothing bad happened ever.  No more owee when she eats.  No more dry diapers.

No comments:

Post a Comment