Thursday, November 17, 2011

2 wrongs make a right

I was trying to go somewhere else in my mind.  I didn't want to listen to this and my brain was trying to protect itself.  I bought a book on zen meditation and it's paying for itself right now.My body was in a room of coworkers who were listening to her talk about recounting inventory.  My mind was thousands of miles away on a sunny beach watching my daughter step in the warm sand and having the waves touch her little feet.  I rarely apply this technique but I really want to speak my mind which would in turn cause someone to fire me.  I should record myself doing this because I'm worried about going cross eyed in a group of people while zoned out.  As long as I keep my balance I think I'll be alright.

Nerds don't make good counting people!  I was arguing with the receiving team about why the techs shouldn't participate in inventory.  Their argument was the technicians get paid the big bucks and they are the smart ones so of course they should count for inventory.  We don't think like human people I explained.  Nerds don't have any common sense.  They are terrible at repetitious tasks because their brains are wired to solve new problems not solving the same problems over and over again.  I've been trying to distance myself from these dweebs for a while now.  I do believe I'm different.  I'll never wear two different kinds of shoes or work startrek into the conversation.  A nerd is someone who does something amazing like hack a ipod and then annoys the crap out of you with his talking about it.  

Everything was happening in a little conference room.  We write down the count on PAPER.  We hand it in and then the paper would be typed in a spreadsheet.  What happened with that spreadsheet is a mystery but it wasn't good.  The information on the spreadsheet didn't match the information in our inventory database.  The database and spreadsheet all existed in a room full of management who were in no doubt joining their collective thoughts together.  Those thoughts would create a plan of action.  That plan would help the spreadsheet numbers match the inventory or die trying.  I don't know what that plan was but we just did what we always did.  We waited for hours then they told us to recount some items.  They were all in that room with the door shut and once in a while a manager would step out and tell us to be quiet.  My lack of silence caused the wheels to stop spinning and everything grinded to halt.  My talking took the attention from the spreadsheet and focused it in the area of people.  If it's one thing they knew it's people. They know very little about database queries, pivot tables, and all the things necessary for bookkeeping.  They are good about rules and keeping people where they belong.

In less than one month we'll have the same people count the same inventory.  We'll have the same management in the same conference room looking at the same spreadsheet.  If two wrongs make a right then the conference room will soon be empty and the blame will be focused where it belongs.

2 comments:

  1. from your fingertips to Gods ears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope not. Not my best work. It's hard to write when you're angry.

    ReplyDelete