Sunday, January 22, 2012

Deciding between two car seats

My wife and I got in an argument over which car seat to buy.  Our daughter is 2 years old and she's outgrowing her current seat.  The argument started because my dad bought our last car seat for $5 at a garage sale.  It worked really well, but we need one for the other vehicle.  My wife is looking at car seats starting at $230!  I couldn't believe it.  These things are expensive.  The lady at the store said we can't put a price on safety, but she can.  My wife has pretty much made up her mind between two models.  They are the Britax Frontier 855ICT and the Graco Smart seat Ryker.

Britax Frontier 85ICT(~$230 @Amazon 1/12/2012)
Britax Frontier 85 Combination Booster Car Seat
We have a girl and they don't make this seat in pink.  That isn't a deal breaker with my wife and I'm a little shocked.  Our daughter can stay in this huge thing till she's 85 pounds if we can fit it in the car.  When she goes above 85 pounds we can switch it to just a booster seat and then I'll use the main body as a recliner in my living room.  She can stay in the booster seat until she's ready for college.  According to the Britax website the only con with this model is that it's a little bulky and the fabric isn't machine washable.  It has two drink holders so my daughter can have her two 40oz colas for those long trips.

Graco smart seat Ryker(~$300 @Walmart 1/12/2012)

This one is available with some pink on it.  This seat works up to 65 pounds in the forward facing 5 point harness configuration.  It only has one cup holder and I think that's where they lost me.  It's side impact tested and all that, but if it only has one cup holder I just don't know.  This would have been an excellent car seat if we would have got it when she's 6 months old.  We wouldn't have to buy another one.

I think we'll buy the Britax Frontier model.  It's a little cheaper and has the two cup holders.

2 comments:

  1. Omfg $230? It should drive the car for you. Damn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzi, it has 2, count them ..2 cup holders!! $230 is a bargain LOL

    ReplyDelete